Thursday, March 30, 2006

Why our days are getting shorter?

It’s the end of the March already and I still can’t figure out how the hell it passed so quickly! Some people blame it on monotonous and repetitive life we’re leading these days but personally, I’ve never been more active in my entire life. My daily schedule is certainly more fruitful, fun and comprehensive in every possible way compare to, for example, what I was doing in late years of elementary or early years of high school. Yet I still can remember how I could felt the weight and the length of EVERY SINGLE DAY back then whereas I can not feel weeks and even months right now, although I was leading much more monotonous life back then.

The only explanation that comes to mind is, as we grow older, the same constant units of time, become a smaller share of our life, meaning that if one year, when I was four, was 25% of my entire life experience, as my only comprehensible perception of time, the same one year is now only 3.33% of my entire life so I feel it 7.5 times smaller in value thus faster in speed! Well, surly it can’t be that mathematical but the idea is, as we grow older, our perception of time expands but those units of time (days, weeks, years) are constant so we naturally feel that they don’t linger any more as much as they did before.

That’s my analogy and I appreciate to hear yours, but whatever the reason is, IT SUCKS BIG TIME!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally do not think that at the tender age of 27 in my case or 30 in yours, we "see the end!". I don't personally worry about how fast life is passing. On the contrary, I think we have a lot to live for, we have a lot to look forward to.

What we feel at our age, is the sense of urgency. The sense of urgency of accomplishing our goals or sometimes fulfilling our family's expectations before they pass on. I worry about what I gain in every passing day.

Every day we face the media bombardment of the obvious equation of life: Hardwork X smarts X opportunity = wealth = Power = prestige = recognition.
The fact remains what are we doing to enter "real life" (whatever that may mean). What are we doing not to remain a constant in these equations?

Another dimension of this sense or urgency resurrects itself in form of the need for a meaningful relationship for most of us. No matter how hard we deny it, most of us do feel the need to establish, maintain and nurture a meaningful relationship. Unfortuantely, finding a happy medium between these two dimension is the hard part.

Although, a lot of my most intimate friends have been critical of my decision to move to Toronto for career advancement, overall, I feel better about myself, going towards that direction of having a bigger impact on my society and providing for the family I'd like to have and I think that's what matters.

Cheers,

Kasra

Anonymous said...

I do see faults in your analogy, but I like it.