Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Over the Hedge


About a year ago, I think it was before Shrek 2, I saw a quite intriguing coming-soon-trailer about an animated cartoon called Suburbia. Characters, dialogues and techniques were promising an interesting movie. I didn’t hear about the movie since last night that I watched it with the new title of “Over the hedge”.

The movie is downright brilliant. Unlike “Ice age 2”, it has a well-written and thoughtful storyline (apparently from a comic strip). Characters are cute and adorable, animation is just right, not pretentious at all, and it completely serves the storyline, and most of all, the scenario is witty, I mean while it’s extremely funny, it has a dark, satirical tone to it, makes fun of the unleashed culture of consumption, shows our brutal intrusion into natural habitats and our inability to coexist as a part of the ecosystem. The fact that this Monday, when I was coming back from Toronto, was screaming itself to me by the numerous carcasses of raccoons and other animals, killed by the passing cars while they were trying desperately to get themselves to the other part of their split-by-the-highway’s habitat. And unlike my lecture, it all has been done in an artistically subtle way which was not annoying or boring whatsoever .

To me, the best character of the film was the fat lazy Persian cat who speaks with a hilarious Persian accent, done by Omid Djalili (the only international Iranian stand up comedian that I know) and it’s so funny that I was crying in the theatre!

I strongly recommend this movie and I guarantee that you will like it, adore it and will laugh your ass off! Enjoy

No comments: